Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Balasana Benefits: Relax deeply in Child's Pose

The single most popular pose in a yoga class is, in my experience, Child’s Pose (Balasana). A favorite of pregnant women and surgical nurses alike, Child’s Pose is the ultimate resting posture because it’s passive and soothing, yet very effective in bringing the body into an immediate state of relaxation.

    Here’s why: all sorts of daily activities wreak havoc on our musculature. Repetitive motions, such as driving, heavy machine work on a factory line or long periods of standing can wear out the body quickly. Coming down to the floor takes the weight off your sacrum, knees, and ankles. Reaching forward frees the shoulders, keeping the chest and upper back supple enough to support open airways and full breathing.

    The tops of the feet have a chance to rest and lengthen, counteracting standing and bearing weight all day. The quadriceps are stretched as the spine elongates. 

    As the spine elongates, we get a very gentle traction-like effect, as we would in Downward Dog. Child’s Pose achieves similar full-body inclusion in an easier way. Experiment with different levels for your forehead: try yoga blocks, stacked blankets or the bare floor. Wedge props in wherever you need extra support so you can hold this posture as long as possible.

    Child’s Pose can be adapted for someone sitting in a chair. For example, my grandma can’t get down on the floor right now. To give her this posture, I would... please click here to read the rest of this post. Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Thank you for coming to visit my blog recently. I'm just now catching up.

    This is a really nice site you have here. I'm also a big fan of Pema Chodron, as I say you are on your profile. I've done some yoga in the past and maybe didn't understand my own body enough, because I sort of hurt myself--but I haven't given up on it.

    p.s. the kitty with frog hat picture you noticed in my blog? Well, it's not my kitty that I dressed up; I just found the photo online. And couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who could resist frog kitty?!?!
    No New Pain In Yoga! That's what one of my teachers says, anyway. Let me know if I can help you ease back into yoga!

    ReplyDelete

Innerspace OM Shop: Kelly's Favorite Yoga Texts, Videos, Props and Gear