Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Who is Your Teacher?



    
     There is a Zen koan that says, “If you meet the Buddha on the path, kill the Buddha.” What the hell does that mean? It means as you are walking around in your life, question authority. If someone tells you they have all the answers, they don’t. The answers are all inside; you just have to uncover the truth within you. That’s what I mean in class when I say, “You’re good enough. You were perfect when you walked in here.”
     Every one of us has to one degree or another, a bit of self-loathing. Our American culture exacerbates this feeling. No matter how big the house is, how fast and shiny the car is, how perfect the kids are, how many handbags we own, we always want more because we think getting more, achieving more will fill the hole inside. Everyone has her own version of the need to fill up; maybe your trip is addiction to food, or shopping, or getting degrees behind your name. The specifics don’t matter. We all have ways to mask our pain, loneliness, and feelings that we just aren’t good enough.
     This kind of thinking leads to poverty issues. We may live in a mansion, with plenty of food to eat and clothes to keep us warm, but we end up walking around like we have no resources. It’s like a beggar struggling for the basic necessities when he has a three carat diamond in his pocket.
     The antidote for this sickness of need and greed is gratitude. Be grateful to everyone and everything. The worst obstacles and circumstances in our lives are essentially a gift given to us to allow us to WAKE UP!
     Today, I’d like to acknowledge my gratitude to my very best teachers, who have shown me the true nature of reality.
Pictured above at the top of this post is the Venerable Zasep Tulku Rinpoche, my dharma teacher. Rinpoche is a Tibetan exile who teaches in the States; I met him about eight years ago in Bloomington and was privileged to take a few teachings from him. Of course, I am immensely grateful for the teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama as well. Without his love and wisdom, so accessible to all of us, I’d be totally screwed.
     I’d also like to mention Barbara Mayer and Gloria Karr, my first writing teachers who filled me with passion for literature and expression. Natalie Goldberg, author of Writing Down the Bones is a Zen practitioner who prescribes writing as a means for awakening consciousness. I was able to take a short workshop with her the last time I was in New York, and her insight was amazing.
     I can’t forget my Anthropology professor, Dr. Richard Ward who treated me like a scholar and taught me to think like a scientist, and my idol Dr. Jane Goodall, whose selfless philanthropy has guided me to see the interrelatedness (shunyata in Buddhism) of all beings and our planet.
     Also, a special shout-out to my very favorite yoga teachers, Nikki Myers and Marsha Pappas of Cityoga in Indianapolis. If you want to have the experience of a lifetime, sign up for their yoga teacher training - even if you have no desire to lead classes. I’m also grateful to Hala Khouri, Sean Corn, Gary Kraftsow and Richard Hittleman (whom I have never met, but he gave me my introduction to Hatha yoga in 1986 through the only book I could find in our little community library).
     Every single person who has ever taken even one of my yoga classes is also my precious teacher. I bow to all of you, and ask you to take a moment to reflect upon the teachers in your lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Innerspace OM Shop: Kelly's Favorite Yoga Texts, Videos, Props and Gear